Saturday 1 October 2016

CALCULATE CURRENT OF ANY INDUCTION MOTOR IN JUST 2 STEPS.



An electrical engineer should be able to calculate current of any Induction Motor as quick as possible.
These are the things which are demanded by industrialist or these are the things you will need to know if you want to make a place in industry.

Calculation on current of induction motor is easy, just follow the following steps

Step 1
Get the following data

  1.  Rated voltage
  2. Rating of motor (HP or KW)
  3. Power factor
  4. Efficiency


*If pf is not known assume it as unity.

Step 2 
Put the values in the following formula

For 3 phase
KW = √3*V*I*PF*Efficiency/1000
So to calculate current,

I = KW*1000/√3*V*PF*Efficiency

For 1 phase
KW =V*I*PF*Efficiency/1000
So to calculate current,

I = KW*1000/V*PF*Efficiency

This will give you the motor current.

Let’s take an example to get the things more clear.


  • Calculate the current of the motor with the following details:

HP = 10
Voltage = 440
Pf = 0.8
Efficiency = 0.85

Now we have the details, let’s get to the step 2.

Step 2
I = KW*1000/√3*V*PF*Efficiency

I = 10*0.746*1000/√3 *440*0.8*0.85

First Convert HP into KW by multiplying it with 0.746 (10*0.746)

This will give us,
I = 14.39 amps.

This is your rated motor current.

Also watch the video for the same, here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXbPSRwD65A

Subscribe my channel for more interesting technical stuff. 

Gaurav J

No comments:

Post a Comment